2009-12-18

Tales from Taiwan, Part II: Breakfast

O.m.g. breakfast is heaven. Or maybe it's just breakfast in Taiwan.

At school, I rarely eat breakfast due to 1) a late morning schedule and 2) a busy morning schedule. But here, due to jet lag, I've been waking up early enough to eat breakfast. Plus, I want to catch as many meals as I can. The first morning, we went out to get 蛋餅 (dan bing - Taiwanese omelet), which is very, very different from the Western omelet:

It's made with a thin Chinese crepe wrapped around a fried egg. You can get yours stuffed with a different ingredient such as tuna (canned tuna, that is), pork sung (Taiwanese pork sung is so much better than the stuff you can buy in the U.S.), corn, ham, etc. I got mine with corn. They also add some thick soy sauce (醬油膏) and sweet chili paste (甜辣醬) if you ask for it spicy - which, of course, I did. It was delicious.

蛋餅 Taiwanese omelet

Next day, we went to eat 飯糰 (rice ball), which was AMAZING. Inside was fried dough (油條), pickled radish, pork sung, marinated egg (滷蛋), and corn, seasoned with sesame. Mm... the fried dough and pork sung provided the crispiness of every bite. So delicious - I loved it.

飯糰 rice ball

Did I mention that I got real Chinese soymilk both mornings? Mm-hmm. Yup, goodness in a cup.

Third morning, we went back to the Taiwanese omelet place, but I decided to order a breakfast sandwich instead. It's quite simple, and I've made it before back at school: toast, Asian mayo (which has an addicting sweetness), fried egg, pork sung, and slivered cucumbers. But honestly, the Taiwanese pork sung makes all the difference - and makes the sandwich soo much better.


早餐三明治 Breakfast sandwich

All in all, deliciousness. Are you jealous yet? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment