2009-12-18

Tales from Taiwan, Part I: The Plane Ride

The plane ride was... long. The route was from RDU to ORD to NRT to TPE. Two meals on the Chicago to Tokyo flight, one meal on the Tokyo to Taiwan flight.

I didn't bother taking any photos of the airplane food provided. Needless to say it wasn't very appetizing. Watch out for the dinner roll from AA - I think it can really be used as an assault weapon. JAL was slightly better - the cold noodles with sesame sauce was actually pretty decent. However, all the entrees were so salty! I couldn't eat more than two bites of each...

The highlight of the trip was definitely the layover in Tokyo. I had originally planned to splurge on sushi and sashimi at the NRT airport, but unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for my wallet), I didn't land in the terminal with the sashimi place, so I ended up just getting noodles instead:

味噌拉麵 miso ramen
As you can probably tell from the name, this is miso soup with ramen. Some additional ingredients include cabbage, corn, carrots, tofu, and sliced pork. The soup was full of flavor, and the noodles' texture was perfect. As S says, they look really rubbery but have just the right amount of chewiness.



牛肉烏東 beef udon
The beef udon has a fewer ingredients than the miso ramen - only onions, thin beef slices, and scallions for garnish. The udon texture, again, is wonderful. The soup is pretty heavy in flavor - I wouldn't have finished the entire bowl. But without the heavy flavoring in the soup, I suppose the udon noodles wouldn't taste as good since they really soaked up all the aroma of the soup.

So those were the highlights of my ~30 hours of travel. Oh, and the biiiig cup of milk tea that S's parents brought me when we got picked up from the airport =D

No comments:

Post a Comment