2009-10-04

Watt's Grocery

Watt's Grocery is one of my favorite restaurants in Durham, and I was happy to have the chance to take my father there when he came to visit me. Their menu features all local items, and they have a bar with NC draught beers.

The atmosphere of the restaurant feels quite organic, although it's always packed. I recommend you to make reservations, otherwise you're in for a long wait. My dad and I didn't make the reservations, so we decided to sit at the bar instead.

Our food - appetizers:

Housemade terrine with artichoke pickles and seasonal compote
Terrine, in case you didn't know, is basically a pate, and they serve it to you with toasted crackers. It's a good combination, but I felt like the taste is really overwhelming for one person. If you get this, you might want to share it with someone...

Market Lettuce Salad with radishes, fried shallots, little tomatoes, and dijon vinaigrette
The salad, being local, is always an interesting combination of vegetables that you might not have seen before. My dad was pretty surprised. He didn't add too much of the vinaigrette because it was a little too sour for him, but the greens were pretty fresh.

Entrees:

Grilled Center-Cut Pork Porterhouse over brown butter apple galette with seasonal vegetables and Nut Brown ale reduction
This was AMAZING. The pork was so incredibly tender, and the sauce was just the right balance between sweet and tart. I absolutely loved it. Also, the sauce went quite well with the vegetables on the side - an added bonus. 

NC Fish of the Day: grilled NC trout with mushroom and peas sauce and a side of hush puppies & basil mayo
The trout was pretty tender, but I didn't think the sauce was too special. The hush puppies, however, are definitely amazing. It could be that I just love the basil mayo dip, but I seriously think that they're flavored and fried to perfection...
 
Overall, Watt's is always a great experience. Even though the trout wasn't too impressive, it still didn't make me love this place any less. I think the cheerful and friendly attitude of the servers, the speed of the service, quality of the food, and reasonable prices overall just makes this one of the best places to dine.

Restaurant: Watt's Grocery
Price Range: $25-40 (for entire meal)

No comments:

Post a Comment